Sunday 24 February 2013

Artful Readers - February 2013

My February book for the Artful Readers group was “The 39 Steps” by John Buchan.

I have always wanted to read this book but never got around to it. It was much shorter than I had expected, more of a novella really, but still very enjoyable.

The story centres around Richard Hannay who has recently come to stay in London after making a modest fortune as a Mining Engineer on the Veldt in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). He befriends a gentleman living in the same lodging house who is in some kind of trouble and inadvertently becomes embroiled in a political nationwide threat to Britain.

This tale is definitely a product of the time in which it was written. It is set just before the Great War and by today’s standards is not very politically correct in places but I found it to be a fantastic romp through a bye-gone age and, although it was pretty easy reading, was enjoyable. I really had a sense of the suspense throughout the book and felt the ending tied up all the loose ends. I would recommend this book which, at 122 pages in the version I read, will only take you a couple of thoroughly enjoyable hours to read.

Here is my artwork, again created using Craft Artist Professional. I am really starting to get to grip with this software and am finding each time I use it that there are more and more things it is capable of.

14 comments:

abby j said...

Have heard of this book but have never read it...I will, now. Sounds like it's right up my alley!! Descriptive art as well!! Well done.

San @ Made in Hem said...

Oh, good to see you had a nice read this month! I wonder why I choose all those big books to read... :)
Your art looks good! Now I'm a dummy with digital, glad you do a lot better! ♥

Darcy Marshall said...

wow Lynn I had no idea it would be such a short book, i have seen the film so many times and expected it to be a lengthy read. Feel I should grab a copy of this to fill in whatever the film misses.

Great art, fab to see you getting to grips with a new medium.

SusieJ said...

Lovely art work and a great review of one of my favourite books...I've just recently re-read it on Kindle (despite having it in physical form).I also love the other Richard Hannay books.
Hugs xx

Shirley said...

Great review of a classic novel. Loved the film but I have never read the book. Your artwork fits the era perfectly, love the graphic style.

Catie Cuddles said...

I have only seen the version on TV previously (gorgeous Rupert Penry Jones) so would be interesting to see how the book differs.
Love your creation ... Conjured up the image I have in my head of the story perfectly!
Love
C xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hate to admit, but I have never heard of the book, or the author. Guess that's what happens when I live on the other side of the pond.

I enjoyed the review, and could tell you enjoyed the book. I am not familiar with your digital software, using only Photoshop. But you have really done an excellent job with the artwork you created. It certainly evokes a real sense of urgency.

Leialoha said...

Thank you for the great review of '39 Steps'. Glad that you finally got to read this book and that you did enjoy it. Such cool effects you achieved with that software...love the soft clouds.

Janet said...

I think this is one of the best political thriller stories of all time - hence why it has been dramatised so many times. Love your artwork.

Janet xx

Gina said...

Can't help seeing your art in black and white..like the old movie lol I am also surprised it was such a short book, always assumed it was a full length novel :D XXX

Carmen said...

Why is the title making me think of Big Ben? I'm pretty sure I've seen the film so I wonder if it was in that - I know I've never seen the book. Just something in the back of my head...

I'm another who is surprised at the shortness of the book. I always expect these classics to be big chunky things.

I'm also enjoying your experiments with your software. That could be a book cover right there!

Carmen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Pretty sure I have neither read this or seen the movie, not sure how I have managed to avoid it really :)

Glad you enjoyed it

And I'm very impressed by your digital artwork, very much out of my skillset!

Maz said...

Although I've heard of the book and film I've never seen either, perhaps I'll give the book a go though now I know it's not too long! Great digi work, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with over the year! x